lysian Trust finds, nurtures, and supports neuroatypical people and their high-potential projects. We see these gifted and talented folks as an otherwise untapped resource, especially when they come from struggling communities and under-served or underrepresented demographics. Elysian Trust aims to be their one-stop support and resource center for reaching whatever their dreams may be for themselves or for their community. By building them up, we expect that they, in return, will pay it forward and build up their communities from within. People can think of Elysian Trust as a talent development & management service for communities, rather than necessarily for companies.
- We primarily focus on gifted and talented individuals from struggling communities and demographics, as they are more likely to be overlooked by other organizations and programs. However, by no means are our efforts limited to them.
- Additionally, we work with many types of cognitive abilities. If there is any scientific evidence of a cognitive trait— however scant or rare—we try to support the people we find who possess it at an extraordinary level.
- We quickly learned the majority of the people we encountered with a remarkable mental talent also possess a trade-off that comes with their ability or abilities. Some examples of these trade-offs we frequently see are autism, dyslexia, and OCD, among others. This discovery necessarily expanded our mission to include helping the neurodivergent and neuroatypical.
Our fundamental mission is to find and foster extraordinary individuals with unusual cognitive abilities, regardless of the culture or country from which they come, and especially those from poor and developing communities. Our secondary mission is to support the neurodivergent community at large, as well as other organizations that help those with abilities and disabilities alike reach their full potential.
What We Do
When we say we are a one-stop support and resource center, we mean it. Some of the services we provide to fulfill our mission include:
- Academic Support–Members have direct access to professors and experts in a plethora of fields. Our platforms also offer peer-to-peer tutoring services to members at no cost. Anyone seeking an academic mentor can request that, and Elysian Trust will connect them with the best match in our database of mentors.
Finally, Elysian Trust provides guidance counseling in the area of academia. Many members don’t know what they don’t know, regarding navigating college life and matriculating their education. Our guidance counseling service helps them with that.
- Financial Support–Our grant-writing service is currently our most in-demand program for both members and those outside of our organization that we connect with through our outreach work. Internally, we have members who have either academic, inventive, entrepreneurial, or professional ambitions that require funding. Without it, their potential and the potential of their projects rot on the vine. Our grant writing program secures the financing they need, which helps with all other factors connected to their endeavors.
Outwardly, Elysian Trust recognizes one of the best ways we can fulfill our mission of helping people reach their full potential. Members sometimes financially support other members directly, as well. However, Elysian Trust has no formal program for this practice nor do we have plans to create one.
- Institutional Support–We offer to consult or partner with other nonprofit organizations that work with neurodivergent people in some way. Because institutions often need funding more than they need growth consulting or organization development, our consulting and partnership services often include the aforementioned grant-writing service as well.
- Job Support–Many of our members are far along in their careers, or they are already at or near the top of their industries. They often help other members who are just starting out in their careers or for whom conventional educational and job tracks are not viable options. Through this networking, these novice and/or unorthodox members can be on-ramped into their industries via unconventional methods and avenues or at an accelerated pace. A real-life example is one member who was a high-school drop out securing a job as a coder for Microsoft.
Sometimes members help each other with their jobs in a subcontracting or job-share fashion, although this is not a formal program. Elysian Trust may explore how to turn this practice into one in the future. However, if we do it will only happen after our job-placement service is fully functional.
Elysian Trust’s job-placement service that is in its second stage of development, as of September of 2018. It has found jobs for 23 members and 30 other people via Elysian’s outreach services, since the beginning of the year. After its third and final stage concludes, we estimate the job placement program will help at least 500 people per year secure jobs.
- Social Support— Our online discussion groups operate as peer-to-peer support platforms. Many of our members have established new and lasting relationships with other people like them that they would otherwise have never met, given the rarity of their respective neurotypes. Two people who are one-in-a-million in a similar neurocognitive manner are unlikely to meet each other in life casually. Many outside of Elysian Trust often don’t recognize just how necessary the social support Elysian Trust offers to its people is. For those who are members, this element is often the most vital. When you are a person who thought marriage would never be possible for you because of the way your mind works, then you finally meet someone who is just as rare and complementary or very similar to you thanks to meeting in Elysian Trust, you cannot quantify that value.
Elysian Trust hosts official meet-ups every year, but most members take the initiative to meet with other members they strongly connected with on an informal basis. People from other countries have met in person through Elysian. For many, they claim to have finally found their “neuro-tribe” and are no longer alone. Others feel that while they are still alone because of how unusual their mind works they at least no longer feel lonely.
By supporting exceptional people from all over the USA and abroad, and doing so in all conceivable ways, we help them to realize their potential, and most importantly, help them channel their abilities in ways that can benefit humankind at large.